Sunday, September 27, 2009

Excerpt from, "Keeper of the Sword."

Gwaylin pursed his lips, “Of course father since you bid me. There is no other in this city or this land that wishes for the sword keeper to be returned and King be named as much as I do. How am I to go? I have no ship, no captain.”

Then from out of the darkest place of his dark soul a thought came unbidden to his mind. It was his deepest and never spoken of secret. A secret that had been formed long ago when he was in the house of learning, after he read the prophecy of the two for the first time. The picture was as clear as the grey bearded men in the council room.

He stood in a large green field and a plain gold crown adorned his head. The great sword was held high in his right hand. The field was filled to overflowing with all the races of the misty lands. Every one of them was on bended knee and proclaimed him their king.

Gwaylin glanced down at the table so that his thoughts of betrayal would not be seen by his father.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    I am really interested to publish your poem 'hurting' for a non-profitable magazine to empower women. I feel that it conveys the right message. Hope you can email me at da@iedwrites.com.

    Shahida
    Malaysia
    on behalf of
    NAM Institute for the Empowerment of Women
    www.niew.gov.my

    ReplyDelete