Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Beggar in the Canyons of Time

I’m a beggar
In the canyons of time
A soldier without a fortune
A dreamer who never dreams

I’m a singer of songs
A poet in my own mind
A poet in my own time
When the clock ticks
Far past my knowing
I wonder if I am being

Perhaps I am no more
Than small blink
An even smaller wink
In someone’s imagination

I’m a clown without a throne
A king without a queen of my own
A sailor on a ship without sails
A captain without a crew

Minute hands hold my fate
As the second hand inches away
The day breaks into
A dark cloudy remembrance
The night holds fast to my soul
The knight polishes his armour
With the blood from my flowing wounds

And today is no more than yesterday
But better than tomorrow will be
In my thoughtless way I blunder
Back to my beginning days
Back to promises I never made

What would the hours hold for me
If I had never been born
Will I ever be more
Than a ripple in time
Will I ever be more
Than a mite in God’s eye

I’m a beggar in the canyons of time
I’m a dreamer trapped by his dreams
A soldier without any guns
But I always have a war to go to

No comments:

Post a Comment