Thursday, July 9, 2009

Red and Grey Cobblestones

Dappled shadows of leaves
From flowering crab apple trees
Ruffled by the summer wind
Dance on red and grey
Well worn cobblestones

A street troubadour plays for pennies
On an old broken down guitar
He sings of lost love and heartbreak
To all who pass him by

The weight of the new day
Did grow heavy upon me
The weight of the world
Is a burden in my mind

The smiles of those that I meet
On the busy city street
Bring a brightness to my soul
And I listen to life around me

The streets are awash with traffic
Flowers bloom in sidewalk cafes
Little children dance to the music
Of the street troubadour as he plays

His songs turn from sad to happy
Money falls like rain in his can
Clouds fade away into sunshine
The weight of the world goes away

I stop to listen for a while
And I watch the shadows of leaves
From flowering crab apple trees
Caressed by a warm summer wind
Dance on red and grey
Well worn cobblestones

No comments:

Post a Comment